Friday 15 April 2016

FILM REVIEW: Batman Vs Superman

Okay, so I guess you could say I'm a bit late on this one; but please don't judge nor crucify me. Funny how this has been one of the most anticipated movies of 2016 and while almost EVERYONE rushed to the cinemas to see it on its release dates, it took me about a whole week and a half delay to finally join the party. Then there was that whole load of work that I had to do on the side, that left me behind on the blog, pushing me even further back on this review. But, oh well, let me stop blabbing and wasting more time; now that everyone has seemingly had their say, here is my two cents worth on this DC comics film.

I will start by stating how amusing it has been to see the world divide into two over the movie. While most critics came out to pretty much ambush the film and declare it utter trash, a number of fans that went to theatres to see it, came back in full defense; turning sharp blade on the reviewers for their negative criticism. What is also very interesting is that I haven't met or heard of anyone that was quite in between with their opinion of the movie. It's either you really loved it or extremely hated it. And I understand why. See, "Batman vs Superman" is an epic superhero film; but is also a very ridiculous story to watch or follow. What I mean is, if you are all about the action - two power figures coming at each other, turning everything upside down and fighting off a genetically-engineered monster in a massive showdown - then this film is everything that you need. Plus, if you are truly a comic or DC devotee, "Batman vs Superman" will definitely touch you way differently than the average audience. I can imagine the tear jerking moment you might have had when Superman was declared dead and your heart almost jumping out of your chest when you heard that heartbeat in the final scene. But, to be honest, all this excitement is not necessarily brought on by this particular movie, but rather by all the other Superman/Batman films that have created some sort of deep connection between the superheros and their avid fans such that it would move you to see them die or struggle in any sort of way; no matter how crappy the movie is.

On the other hand, if you are someone that doesn't just get satisfaction from the adrenaline rush of fast paced action and require a film to have a coherent story line for you to enjoy it, then I'm afraid "Superman vs Batman" might not be your cup of tea. I have never seen a movie that came from all sorts of angles like this one (okay, I probably have, but I don't remember it 'cause I can never recall the bad ones anyway). One minute Bruce Wayne is after Kent Clark and vice versa, then Bruce is out at Luthor's party and suddenly, we now have Batman and Superman going at each other as their superhero characters. At some point there are too many stories happening at once, you are not sure which one to follow. As for how and why, Batman and Superman are fighting each other when the enemy is clearly Luthor is beyond me (don't even try to answer that, it was a sarcastic question). Then there are the useless hurdles like Diana Prince stealing the data drive from Bruce Wayne only to later return it after she is unable to decrypt it. Why waste time in stealing it if we weren't going to see her use it anyway. And for her to return it was just ridiculous and totally unrealistic (but I guess that is why some things only happen in movies).

The entire film is very dark and gloomy. It's like everything happens late in the day around sunset into the night. This gives the film quite a depressing mood. It has no color at all. Some of the camera work in certain scenes is shaky and the cinematography of the film is really just nothing to write home about. The work done by the cast was truly amazing though and to be honest, the entire ensemble comprises of strong actors. However, their skills were pretty much just sabotaged by the poor script Chris Terrio and David S. Goyer put together.

I will not lie and say I was bored the whole time that I viewed "Superman vs Batman", but at some point, I was really just so frustrated by the plot that was all over the place that I stopped following the storyline, squinted my eyes through the dark scenes and enjoyed all the action.

No comments:

Post a Comment